Our bargaining team met with the University on June 14th, and we are pleased to announce that we have reached a tentative agreement for Postdoctoral fellows at UOIT! Full details of the agreement will be available shortly, but please find below a summary of the highlights:
Summary of Tentative Agreement
For the first time, we were able to negotiate an increase to the minimum funding AND a general wage increase for all postdocs! On September 1 of each year of the agreement, all postdocs will receive a one percent increase to their wages. The minimum salary will also increase by the same amount.
|Salary Minimum||Sept. 1, 2019||Sept. 1, 2020||Sept. 1, 2021|
Although we are proud to have negotiated a wage increase for all postdocs, our ability was limited due to the provincial government’s recent announcement that they will be imposing a law limiting wage increase at one percent per year for all public sector workers, including employees at UOIT. This unjust situation, and the University’s decision to act as if it was already law, prompted our bargaining team to negotiate a Letter of Understanding granting us the right to renegotiate wages and your Healthcare Spending Account in the event that this law does not pass or is amended.
- A Letter of Understanding with the University ensuring that, should they open up discussions on pensions or benefits with another contract-based group of workers on campus, they shall do the same with Postdoctoral employees.
- More time (90 days instead of 30) to file a Healthcare Spending Account claim.
- Language clarifying your right to return to your previous position following pregnancy and/or parental leave
- A commitment from the University to make every effort to provide members with at least one month notice of renewal or termination of their appointment
- The creation of a fund that will help with the administration of the collective agreement. This will benefit all members, and liberate much needed funds that could now assist our members in financial need.
Full details of all amendments and additions will be provided and reviewed at the ratification meeting. Voting will occur at the following time and location:
Wednesday June 26, 2019
10 a.m. to 12 p.m.
Your negotiating team unanimously recommends
the acceptance of the tentative agreement.
Your Bargaining Team:
Reza Alipour Moghadam Esfahani
Ahmed Mohamed Othman Abdelmaksoud
Mathieu Brûlé (PSAC Negotiator)
Join our Facebook page: PSAC 555
Find us on Twitter: @PSAC555